Unconventional Pets for Unconventional People

Exotic Pets, Practical Advice, Rare Insights

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Brown Tree Snakes

Here's a picture of a dead brown tree snake (Boiga irregularis) in Guam. These snakes often fry themselves on electrical wires, sometimes causing brownouts.



(Photo taken by Bobbie)

Those of you familiar with this blog will probably be asking, "So what's the connection to unconventional pets?" Good question... I'll admit it is a tentative one. However, I am often shocked by how poorly educated many people are about the effects of invasive species on native ecosystems. This tree snake, accidentally introduced into Guam on a ship shortly after world war two, has decimated the islands' aviofauna. Exotic pets can have equally devastating effects if they manage to escape or are released into countries to which they are not native.

A prime example of this is the established populations of Burmese pythons (from South-East Asia) in Florida (US), and of red-eared slider terrapins (from the US) in the Philippines (South-East Asia).

Therefore, it is important to remember that as responsible pet owners one must never release an exotic pet into the wild for any reason. It is impossible to predict how it will interact with native ecosystems.

2 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Chrysoberyl said...

Hey,
I think I have the right blog anyway...I was looking for some help regarding vetiranry medicine, and i stumbled upon your blog.I think your a vet student in the U.K....
Im really sorry if this is a totally random comment, or quest for help, but could you please post me somehow and tell me?
Sorry this does sound odd, i just want to ask a few questions, like if i am doing the right courses and A levels to become a vet. thanks for the help.
Ill understand if you do not wish to reply back.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Gabriel said...

Yes that is correct, I am a vet student. I'd be glad to help in any way I can, but please post your questions in my other site: www.vetstudies.com There's a forum specifically intended for such questions :-)

I'll answer as best as I can, keeping in mind that I did the International Baccalaureate not the A levels (although I can ask other students for you).

Cheers :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home