Unconventional Pets for Unconventional People

Exotic Pets, Practical Advice, Rare Insights

Friday, January 20, 2006

Slender digit chorus frog

This post is about my absolute favorite of all my current herps (the birds and cat are obviously in a different category all together). In fact, it is the only one of my herps that has a name - Kaloula. Very well, so that's its genus name and I occasionally refer to my Gray's water skink as T. grayii as well, but the fact remains. My portly Kaloula is my favorite herp.

Rewards:
Kaloula is the opposite of a 'fair-weather friend.' He spends most of his time a few centimeters underground, digging himself up when it rains (or when I increase the humidity in his vivarium to simulate rain). Why portly? Just look at the photos... I guess I enjoy his antics as he hunts down mealworms too much.

Difficulties:
For much of the time I cannot actually see him. Sometimes, after not having seen him for a few weeks, I get worried and increase the humidity in his vivarium to make him dig himself out of his burrow. I must learn to stop worrying...

Housing:
I house my Kaloula with my water skink (see earlier post). Kaloula is nocturnal and the skink is diurnal, so they don't clash. I guess the threat of parasites crossing from one to the other is there - especially as both are wild caught - but as they would share habitat in the wild I guess it isn't as risky as it would be if they were from different countries.
For housing information just take a look at my water skink post... I'm not going to retype the whole thing. The one difference is that Kaloula needs soil - moist soil that he can dig into. Do not let the soil dry up and crack.

Feeding:
I feed Kaloula mealworms (gut loaded) but he eats insects that enter his vivarium as well, such as mosquitoes. Watching "chubby frogs" eat can be hilarious. First of all, Kaloula was eating from day one. He did not need an adjustment period. I threw in a mealworm and he was on it the moment it twitched. Oh, yeah, they need to see movement in order to trigger their hunting response. Once they have locked on to their prey they will lift themselves as high as they can on their pudgy legs until they look like a pebble on stilts. Then they will stretch themselves in the direction of the mealworm before lunging towards it. They usually miss the first time, well, Kaloula does at least...

Final Words of Advice:
When Kaloula feels threatened he bloats himself, making himself look bigger. I know he gets along with the skink because he doesn't do that, even when they meet. Kaloula does not seen particularly troubled when handled, but I am always careful not to stress him out. In the six months or so that I've had him I've only handled him three times, and that was only when moving him from an improper 'quarantine' setup to a better one, and then into the skink's vivarium.
As with any amphibian, it is essential that you only touch a narrow mouthed toad after having thoroughly washed your hands of any traces of chemicals. I personally like to cover my hand in mud before touching Kaloula - I wouldn't want to damage his beautiful skin... You should wash your hands again after your touch any of your pets, but especially toads (especially if you covered your hand in mud...).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home